Friday, March 23, 2012

I have lived in Tampa since 2004. I love Tampa and West Florida - warts and all. However, the dark underbelly of this city is becoming more and more in focus, as it becomes one of the epicenters of a national tax fraud issue.  And I am one of its most recent victims.

I tend to keep to myself, but with the growing number of fellow taxpayers being subjected to identity theft and government bureaucracy, well... I choose not to be silent now.

I have created this blog to track my situation, start to finish, to document the process from initial notification from the IRS, to a potentially tedious and final resolution.

I hope to share news articles, research, tips for personal security, and updates as my situation progresses.

I invite others to share their stories as well, but I advise that any and all discussion remain civil, in order to promote positive debate and discourse.

My name is Emily, and this is my story... 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Emily, I have just been notified that I too am a victim like you. I was hoping you may have information on what to do and possible contact numbers that may help. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello...

    I am so sorry to hear that you are also a victim of tax fraud/identity theft.

    First, get all your dates in order (when you first attempted to file, where, dates of rejection notices, etc.) Prepare your thoughts into a clear, concise statement for the IRS.

    Visit the IRS Identity Theft site:
    http://www.irs.gov/privacy/article/0,,id=186436,00.html

    You will need to complete an IRS Form 14309. Follow the directions exactly!
    http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f14039.pdf

    I would wait about 14 days before calling the IRS Identity Protection Specialized Unit (1-800-908-4490) so that they can confirm your status as part of the on-going federal investigation.

    In the meantime, I recommend contacting all three major credit bureaus and freezing your accounts.

    Unfortunately, as victims as we can do is wait. However, each time you contact the IRS, be sure you keep a running log of the date, time, and the customer service rep name and number.

    Hang in there... the more we communicate and stick together, the easier it will be.

    Best of luck to you, and please, share your experience!

    Emily

    ReplyDelete